USPS Tracking: The United States Postal Service® has become synonymous with letter delivery, but they also deliver over 200 million trackable packages per year, as well as hundreds of millions of ground packages for FedEx® and UPS®. The USPS tracking process is one of the things that makes this all possible.
The Intelligent Mail® Package Barcode is the tracking label that USPS uses for many of its services (IMpb). This small USPS tracking sticker not only connects your physical package to the digital information required to track its progress, but it also provides you with the largest postage discounts available.
When you send a large envelope or package via First-Class® or Priority Mail®/Priority Mail Express® (domestic and international) with an IMpb tracking label, you automatically qualify for Commercial Base rates, which offer significant savings over standard retail rates.
The use of USPS IMpb tracking labels also ensures that the addresses you use and the rates you pay are correct. And they take out a lot of the guesswork that can cost you money, delay deliveries, and cause you and your customers unnecessary stress.
Sending smarter with USPS tracking is critical to keeping your customers satisfied and your postage costs low. Continue reading to learn more about USPS tracking labels and the advantages of using them.
How to track a USPS package?
- Visit the USPS website.
- Navigate to the “Track & Manage” tab.
- In the “Track Your Package” box, enter your tracking number, then click the search icon or press Enter.
- Check the status of your shipment. You can view the USPS Tracking History for a more detailed view of where your package was picked up and scanned.
How to track a USPS order using Informed Delivery?
Signing up for Informed Delivery, a free and optional notification system offered by USPS, allows you to digitally preview your mail and handle arriving parcels from a single dashboard (and without having to type in individual USPS tracking numbers for multiple packages).
- Navigate to the USPS website.
- Hover your mouse over the “Quick Tools” tab and select “Informed Delivery.”
- From the “Quick Tools” tab, select “Informed Delivery.”
- Sign up for Informed Delivery or log in to your account to get started.
- Go to the “Packages” tab to see the current status of all your incoming packages.
- The “Packages” tab displays a list of your packages.
- Select the package you want to track by clicking the arrow icon.
- Determine the current status of your package.
How to track down missing or delayed USPS packages?
Missing mail is defined by USPS as “mail that has not been delivered by the expected delivery date,” also known as undelivered, lost, or late packages. They advise waiting at least seven days before attempting to recover your package, as it may still be on its way.
- Follow the USPS tracking steps outlined above to determine the current status of your package.
- Using a laptop or desktop computer, fill out an online help request form.
- Submit a search request for Missing Mail.
How to Contact a Live Person at USPS Customer Service?
Sometimes we need to contact USPS because our package has been lost or damaged. A phone call is the most effective way to contact USPS.
- Contact the US Postal Service at 1-800-222-1811, 1-800-275-8777, or 1-800-ASK-USPS.
- When you hear an automated voice ask you to select an option, say “Agent.”
- The automated voice will confirm whether or not you need to speak with an agent. To proceed, click “Yes.”
- If you call during business hours, you will be connected to a live representative. If you don’t, you’ll hear USPS customer service hours and be taken back to the main menu.
Is there a live chat option with USPS?
No. USPS does not offer live chat. We recommend contacting USPS by phone.
How to File a Successful Insurance Claim with USPS?
Filing a claim is simple, especially if you do it online, which is always the best option. Here are the items you will need to file your claim, along with more information:
- Original packaging
- A repair cost estimate
- Proof of Value
- Form of Official Claim (when not filing online)
- Original mailing receipt and, if available, proof of insurance
What types of mail necessitate a signature?
Some pieces of mail require the recipient’s signature at the time of delivery.
- Priority Mail Express (Priority Mail) (if requested),
- Registered Mail,
- Collect on Delivery
- Insured Mail (more than $500),
- Registered Mail,
- Receipt of Return,
- Signature Verification
- Signature of an adult
How Do I Locate My USPS Tracking Number?
- Your shipping receipt from the post office. If you mail the package in person at a post office, you will be given a receipt.
- Your insurance policy receipt. When purchasing products worth more than $50, many people purchase insurance. Perhaps you are one of them.
- If you used USPS.com to ship your package, the confirmation email from USPS.com.
- If you buy online, the shipping email is from your online retailer.
- If you have one, the peel-off portion of a USPS tracking label.
- If you missed a delivery, flip over the orange slip you received.
How many delivery attempts will USPS make?
Based on the carrier’s knowledge, USPS usually makes one or two delivery attempts. Following the delivery attempts, the package will be held for 15 days from the first delivery attempt before being returned to the sender.
If you are currently tracking the USPS on our website, we recommend that you submit your email address so that the most recent shipping information can be sent to you when the shipping status changes.
Is it possible for me to pick up my mail before it is delivered?
Yes, you can pick up your USPS package before it is delivered to your address.
You must contact the post office with your package’s tracking number and request a pickup. To receive the parcel, you must go to the USPS Delivery Center one day before the delivery date and provide identification.
You can try to pick up a USPS parcel before it is delivered, but there is no guarantee you will be successful. Because they can be very strict at times, or because it is already in the despatch process.
Is USPS open on Sunday?
Since its inception, USPS has delivered Express Mail (now known as Priority Express Mail) on Sundays (for a fee), and “Special Delivery” before that.
Around 2012, USPS began delivering parcels on Sundays for large mailers who had negotiated Sunday delivery contracts. Coincidentally, only Amazon has a contract with USPS, so any parcels delivered on a Sunday (or Holiday) will be from Amazon. However, if you placed an order on Shein, USPS will deliver it on Sunday via priority mail express.
During the holiday season, USPS does not deliver anything else on Sundays. In very rare cases, after a large enough storm that mail is delayed for several days, an executive order may be issued to catch up on Sunday, but this is extremely rare.
So there’s a 99 percent chance that if you see a mail carrier delivering mail on Sunday, it’s not just Amazon packages.
What Is the Difference Between Certified and Registered Mail?
Certified mail is so named because the sender receives proof of delivery and billing. The person to whom the letter is addressed must sign for it as proof that it arrived safely.
Registered mail is sent with the post office keeping a record of it. That is, as the letter or package is delivered to different locations, each office keeps track of its progress.
Both of these options are slightly more expensive than regular mail and have different shipping times. Make sure you understand what you require—either a signature confirmation or the ability to track where the letter goes.
USPS Service Label Formats
9400 1000 0000 0000 0000 00
9205 5000 0000 0000 0000 00
9407 3000 0000 0000 0000 00
Collect on Delivery
9303 3000 0000 0000 0000 00
Global Express Guaranteed®
82 000 000 00
Priority Mail Express International™
EC 000 000 000 US
Priority Mail Express™
9270 1000 0000 0000 0000 00， EA 000 000 000 US
Priority Mail International®
CP 000 000 000 US
9208 8000 0000 0000 0000 00
9202 1000 0000 0000 0000 00
USPS Contact Information:
Tel: 1-800-275-8777 or (800) 238-3150
Email: [email protected]
Hours of operation: Monday – Friday 8 AM – 8:30 PM ET, Saturday 8 AM – 6 PM ET
USPS Working Hours and Locations:
The USPS hours for specific services may differ. Select a location name from the USPS page to see a complete list of hours and services: https://tools.usps.com/go/POLocatorAction!input.action
Trackingmore provides real-time details about your USPS package and supports a variety of languages including English, French, Spanish, German, and others.
USPS Shipment Tracking Management:
- Auto tracking and delivery notification: after logging in, you can configure the “Notification Settings,” and the system will automatically track your USPS waybills and notify customers when they are in transit, picked up, delivered, or have an exception
- Compatible with eBay, AliExpress, and Magento: By connecting your eBay, AliExpress, and Magento accounts to Trackingmore, our system will collect the data together, allowing you to view the waybill information in one place.
It supports sixteen different languages, making it convenient for users from various countries.
Can I track a USPS package without a tracking number?
Unfortunately, you cannot track a USPS package without a tracking number. The tracking number is essential for accessing and retrieving the package’s tracking information.
What should I do if the USPS tracking information is not updating?
In rare cases, there may be delays or gaps in USPS tracking updates. If the tracking information is not updating or appears stagnant, it’s recommended to contact USPS customer service for assistance.
Can I track international USPS packages?
Yes, USPS offers tracking services for international packages. However, tracking availability and level of detail may vary depending on the destination country’s postal service.